New old guy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old guy

Hello folks, I subscribed to this forum a couple years ago but didn’t get any replies. With all that said I would like to add that I really would like to see this forum succeed with more activity. I will try to do my part and post a bunch of dumb “newbie” questions.

I got into Pyrography about a couple years ago but lost some interest to pen turning. Since then I have moved into an apartment and stored most of my woodworking tools. For the lack of a shop to work in. So now I am getting back to Pyrography again along with some power carving (flat stock not figures). I how to tie in the two.

Jim
    South Carolina, USA

Jim, thanks for posting. I would like to see the forum succeed as well, but I don't think we have enough folks burning that are members. We don't have "Critical Mass!"

Comment

Hello hotshot,
      My wife & I took a Pyrography class a couple years ago that was taught by Michele Parsons from North Carolina. Great teacher & artist. My wife & I tried to put a local class together. Had free workshop at a hobby shop and we invested in equipment and supplies. With NO TAKERS!
      Parsons put her classes on through woodworker/wood carvers’ clubs. These classes were supported by the members of the sponsoring club (which was the reason we went). Her class was $135 for two days. We were going to charge $15/day for 4-6 hours.
      We didn’t want to make a profit, we just wanted to get others interested and maybe get a group tighter. My interest now is combining relief carving & Pyrography.

Comment

I suspect part of the problem is that many believe you have to be an artist to participate in this hobby, and there just are not than many folks that are genuine artists. There are some folks that do this that are indeed incredible artists, but that isn't the only project types possible. For the non-artists, there are plenty of ways to do simpler pattern based projects. Unfortunately, I fall into the ungifted category.
        Last edited by hotshot; 08-29-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

"Unfortunately, I fall into the ungifted category" but my artist wife helps me LOL

Comment

Yeah, but technology is great. When I was young, I used a "blowup" machine to cast a image on a piece of paper, then I could "see" what I was trying to draw/copy. Unlike tracing, you can take what you see and also match shade. So I was able to produce some pencil recreation from photographs that were very good.

My current experiment, in the Pyrography realm involves taking a projector that can project at very close range, and try to copy that approach. I'm working on the device to hold the projector "over" the work piece. Hopefully this winter I'll have some more time to develop the concept.

Comment

Hi, I signed up back in April hoping to browse a gallery of members work perhaps i`m not seeing the links, Would really love to upload some of my efforts such as they are I have posted pyrography and also airbrush pieces on general art sites but a dedicated burning forum sharing ideas and techniques would be ace. Having began with the usual soldering iron got hooked and invested in a Peter Child pyro unit, a joy to use just like sketching with a hot pencil or brush depending on the shape/size of wire also use a butane pen torch and hobby speed drill to burnish and highlight. My point being burning images onto wood leather bone gourds must be as old as cave paintings and a wonderful way to produce personal gifts and decorate doors coffee tables wooden boxes etc And I have to say jimofcs there is no such thing as a dum newbie question my friend, I`m trying to upload my pieces not an expert but willing and able to share the bits and pieces we all gather by making mistakes. please hotshot how do I upload some stuff ? regards from Cornwall dutch

Comment

Right above the box I'm typing in, I see a picture an icon of a paperclip and paper. If you click that, there should be an option to upload attachments. Also, you might see a picture of a camera on the left side, that provides another way.

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you hotshot I see now my pictures were just too big to upload hope these make it I have a lot more and welcome your opinion, there was a question re Peter Child pyro unit I have managed to learn a little, by making mistakes, keen to share and learn from others

Comment

Wow, very nice. That is a whole lot of burning for that bench.

Comment

Thank `s hotshot, I read posts showing interest in burning I am no expert just began a couple of years ago If you can sketch or follow lines it`s a great pastime and even make some cash. Just would like to see an easy a one click gallery of members work

Comment

Originally posted by dutch View Post
                        Thank you hotshot I see now my pictures were just too big to upload hope these make it I have a lot more and welcome your opinion, there was a question re Peter Child pyro unit I have managed to learn a little, by making mistakes, keen to share and learn from others
                        Looking good there! I can't imagine the time that must have taken.

Comment

Working...
                        X