Laser Engravers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Engravers

Hello. I haven't been here for a while. Obstacles, detours, and well you know, the usual ingredients that make the stew of life. All the same, remembering the vital advice I got here months ago, I've come with more questions.

We're seriously considering obtaining a laser engraver. One that you can link to a computer. My husband has this idea of continuing to have my pyrography professionally photographed. But this time not to just sell prints. Rather to use a laser engraver to, for wont of a better term, mass product my works. Have any of you done anything like this? If so, what was good and bad about it? What brand of engraver would you recommend? We're thinking of a machine that can handle wood panels up to 3' X 3'.
    Artists are artistic.

Re: Laser Engravers

I have thought about doing something similar then decided against it. For me its taking away the art and skill, why pay someone hundreds for a unique piece when a computer can mass produce it? Those are my thoughts, but good luck if you choose to go ahead
    My new website!
    Find wooden blanks here:
    www.lous-woodland-crafts.co.uk

Comment

My thoughts were, where is the fun in that , but I have seen what they can do and they do great work , I myself will keep doing it the old fashion way , good luck and hope you find the right machine , I do not know which one that is but good luck anyway.

Richard

Comment

There is one sure-fire quick way to take the fun out of an enjoyable hobby. Mass produce it. Whether, it's carving woodburning or scroll sawing there are machines that can reproduce it, quickly and cheaply. Thank goodness Michelangelo, Da Vinchi , and others are safely dead now and cannot witness these flawless reproductions, and others have probably copyrighted their works too.
        Sorry for the rant, but it's the way I feel.

Comment

Well said, p3aul.....
          stevj

Comment

I remember when I was living in Washington state. About 10 years ago there were a few people who were using laser engravers to do "art" & claiming it was pyrography done by hand. For those of us who do pyrography "by hand" we can tell the difference. They wanted to enter their work at one of the woodcarving shows in the pyrography category & the show chairs & judges flat out refused...thank god. They also refused to allow them in as vendors selling their "art" because it was mass produced on a computer & not art. I was very happy that they had taken a firm stand on this. I later saw one of these people at a show in Olympia. He had signs on his work claiming it was pyrography done by hand. I knew who he was & asked him how he could blatantly lie to people saying that it was done by hand when it was computer generated. He chose to ignore me.

I was fortunate to study under a master painter from Italy as a child. When I grew up I went to Italy to see Michaelangelo's work because he had been my hero & an inspiration to me all my life. P3aul, I think Michaelangelo & the other masters would be turning over in their graves at the thought of someone using computer generated work & claiming it is art. Mass producing something from a computer is not art!
            Nedra Denison
            Gourd & Pyrographic Artist & Author
            www.SawdustConnection.com
            www.Pyrography101.com
            www.GourdSupplies.com
            https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...gourd-art/info

Comment

I would like to have one, but not for using on wood or paper. I would use it for surfaces not burnable by pyrography pen.

Comment

Working...
              X