Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie (Hi!); Sourcing blanks and working on Ash advice pls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie (Hi!); Sourcing blanks and working on Ash advice pls?

Hi there,

Im new to pyrography and purchased a pen a few months ago that I'm yet to use due to having a newborn baby..

Anyway, im looking to purchase my father a bill hook for Christmas and the one I like has an Ash handle; would I be able to burn on to it?

Also, where do you all get your blanks from please? I'd love to do a house name sign for us but I can't seem to find anything big enough..

Finally, what is the 'best' type of wood for a beginner to use?

Many many thanks!

Good Morning,

Saw where no one has given you any kind of answer in almost 2 years. I just got back on here after a really long hiatus and you may well not need/want any answers at this late date, but I'll throw this out.

As for the Ash, I did a project a couple of years ago making a Santa walking staff. Santa portrayal is another of my endeavors. Anyway, I burned a series of "Santa-ish" scenes swirling about 3/4 of the roughly 5 foot length. While I'm not 100% sure, if memory serves me correctly, the staff was out of a piece of Ash. If it is, it worked great.

As for blanks, I've found that I can find a really wide variety of things like that on good 'ol Amazon. There's not much you can't fine on there nowadays. Give it a try.

As for the "best type" of wood for a beginner......Anything you can lay hands on that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. That way while you are learning you don't feel so back if you end up with a "heartfelt OOPS!"

Comment

Working...
    X