Disappointing Development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing Development

I burned a butterfly pattern onto a piece of maple wood, it turned out pretty good. I got a lot of good comments on it. I colored the piece with Prismacolor Colored Pencils. Then I decided to seal it using Deft Clear Wood Finish, Satin Lacquer Spray. Unfortunately, when I sprayed it, it caused the colors to bleed onto the wood outside the lines. What did I do wrong?

Bentrider, I'm sorry to say that there is not a lot of traffic on the forum recently. I'm hoping someone else pops in the help you with your questions. Thanks for posting.

------Randy

Comment

Originally posted by bentrider View Post
      I burned a butterfly pattern onto a piece of maple wood, it turned out pretty good. I got a lot of good comments on it. I colored the piece with Prismacolor Colored Pencils. Then I decided to seal it using Deft Clear Wood Finish, Satin Lacquer Spray. Unfortunately, when I sprayed it, it caused the colors to bleed onto the wood outside the lines. What did I do wrong?
      I just saw a tip about this today! Apparently some finishes can dissolve the wax in wax-based colored pencils. I will ask an artist friend if there's anything you can do to fix it.

To avoid the problem in the future, first spray the work with "workable fixative" which is available in the fine-art department of craft stores. It's designed to keep smudgy media (pencils, chalk, pastels) from smudging. Then, add a layer of polycrylic instead of lacquer. It won't dissolve the wax.

Hope this helps!
      Mindy
      Last edited by Mindy; 01-26-2018, 10:29 AM.
      ---
      "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Comment

Hi Bentrider,

I talked to Karen Hundt-Brown about your colored pencil problem. Karen teaches a lot of pyro classes and just wrote an article about using wax-based colored pencils for our upcoming issue. She said:

>Short of putting chemical stripper on the piece to remove the sealer there’s nothing to do. The wax was melted by chemical reaction and is now fused into the wood grain. He could try to remove the finish and then apply a hot iron on top of two paper towels, to the piece where the wax melted to see if can pull it out. You use the same method to remove wax from cloth. It might work but no guarantees.

Hope this helps!
        Mindy
        ---
        "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Comment

Thank you so much, Mindy. Karen is right, there's nothing I can do to correct the bleeding. Okay, I will go find the "workable fixative," and then I will add the layer of polycrylic you mentioned. I'm really thankful for that information. I wasn't going to do any more pieces with coloring added until I had figured out what went wrong. Thanks so much.

Comment

Mindy, it works! I got the fixative and the polycrylic. I burned a flower onto a sample piece of wood, then colored it with the wax pencils. Then I sprayed the fixative on it. It worked! I'm so glad you gave me that solution.

Comment

Working...
            X