How do I clean tips while burning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I clean tips while burning?

I am new to pyrography snd still learning. I have a Walnut Hallow Creative Versa tool and I am having trouble finding ways to clean my tips as I am working. Any recommendations?

I'm no expert, so take that into effect as you ponder what I'm about to say! ??

First....Are you talking turning off/unplugging it and letting it cool down before you do anything? Or, are you trying to give it a quick "swipe" or "buff" midstream?

My thought would be to try to use a good grade of very fine grit sandpaper and give it a quick lick across it. Or use some ultra fine emery cloth much like you would expect to see used in a machine shop type setting to "polish" a piece. ?? I'd try to wipe the tip when finished to prevent transferring any contaminants to your work. There "might" be something sold specifically for that, but my initial gut response is to try what I suggested.

Comment

aluminum oxide on a strop is my method. You can google that to see how else that combination is used.

Comment

I've read about using a mesh tea strainer for a quick clean on a hot tip while burning. Haven't tried it yet. Tips still need a good buffing after cooled down in between burn projects.

Comment

Originally posted by sbarnhardt View Post

My thought would be to try to use a good grade of very fine grit sandpaper and give it a quick lick across it. Or use some ultra fine emery cloth much like you would expect to see used in a machine shop type setting to "polish" a piece. ?? I'd try to wipe the tip when finished to prevent transferring any contaminants to your work. There "might" be something sold specifically for that, but my initial gut response is to try what I suggested.
          I just bought something for this from one of the "well known" equipment manufacturers. I won't name them. Let me say right from the start, their price online was economical, so they hadn't marked it up out of reason, but what it turned out to be was "commonly available" material. The material sold for "cleaning" was a "fine" Crocus cloth (Picture Below) and the "honing" material was a P600 Waterproof Paper/Electro Coated/Flex Back material. (Picture Below) This P600 put me in the mind of the stuff you see used in an auto body shop for "water sanding" a repaired body panel, which would fit in with the "waterproof" designation on it.

Comment

Working...
          X